19th Century British Pamphlets is a collection of over 25,000 pamphlets, containing a total of 990,000 pages. According to JSTOR, it represents the “most significant British pamphlets from the 19th century held in UK research libraries.” These pamphlets are an important primary source for British history, covering such topics as politics, health, women’s rights, imperialism and the abolition of slavery, but they also provide valuable insight into philosophical and theological issues of the day.
There are several subcollections. Please click here for a PDF describing the individual collections.
Bristol Selected Pamphlets
Earl Grey Pamphlets Collection
Foreign and Commonwealth Office Collection
Knowsley Pamphlet Collection
LSE (London School of Economics) Selected Pamphlets
Wilson Anti-Slavery Collection
Searching the pamphlet collections:
Because it’s not possible to find individual pamphlets in EUCLID, it’s somewhat difficult to search the collections. The quality of material they contain, however, means that it’s worth the extra effort to search them. There are presently two ways to search 19th Century British Pamphlets: by doing an advanced search in JSTOR or by doing a combined search in discoverE.
Accessing the collection through JSTOR:
First, click the advanced search link:
Then narrow your search to British Studies by clicking it open. Select the pamphlet collections you’d like to search:
First click the Combined Search tab and then click the Advanced Search link:
Change the first box from “Any” to “in the title” and enter the name of the pamphlet collection you’d like to search.
Enter your search terms in the second search box:
Alain St. Pierre
In the Blog
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: Tusks and Teeth
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: Civil War Cannonballs
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: Three Dimensional Poetry
- MARBL Launches Artists' Books Showcase
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: The McCord Latin Prize Medal
- Announcing the Emory Center for Digital Scholarship
- Summer Reading EBooks and AudioBooks
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: Charles H. Herty Turpentine Cup
- Postcolonial Studies @ Emory
- A Beautifully Illustrated Book in the Seydel Collection