Feminists Engage Wikipedia is an event where folks around the country sign into Wikipedia, edit certain entries and add new ones to increase diversity on the site. This event is the first of the two day THATCamp Feminism South organized by the DiSC Grad Fellows happening at Emory next week. We will be working in person and virtually Friday, March 15 from 11 am to 3pm EST. We would love for you to be involved and there are a number of ways you and people you know can participate.
- Give Ideas for Entries-
- Add New People, Events and Things – Perhaps an awesome Black feminist writer who just wrote her first book? Or an important woman of color disability justice activist? Is their an important moment of Trans* activism that’s not on Wikipedia? An important documentary or two that need to be reflected in wikipedia?
- Edit existing Entries - Who needs an important source or event added to their existing entry?
- You can add them to our list of entries to work on here by clicking edit in the brackets to the right.
- Sign up for a wikipedia account (don’t use your gov’t name like I did)
- Watch this video to learn just how to edit wikipedia (click “Flash” at the bottom of the playback video if it starts to mess up). We will be watching this video Today (3/7) in the Research Commons at noon. Join us!
- Join us virtually – follow hashtag #tooFEW and learn what we are up to
- Join us in person - In the South @ Emory University Library – Research Commons, 3rd Floor Friday March 15 11am -3pm EST (You don’t have to stay the whole time and we will have free delicious food!)
- Tell Somebody-
- Students – Do they need extra credit? Can this be a class project? Are you learning about some really cool people in POC/Trans*/Queer/Women’s History that don’t have wiki pages or have pages with bad information? You can fix it!
- Friends – Do you know other folks who should know about this? Please spread this information to activists you know, faculty, etc. Everyone is welcome!
- Organizations – These edit-a-thons work best with lots of folks working on specific things. Do you know orgs like INCITE or SONG that know specific types of folks who should be added to wikipedia or projects folks should know about?
Saturday we’ll start at 10 am with breakfast and deciding exactly what we want to discuss at THATCamp Feminisms South. Breakfast and lunch provided!
Suggest your interests in a blog post on the website or come ready to throw your idea on the board! We’ll have three hour-long concurrent breakout sessions, lunch followed by digital shorts, and a closing report back. You’ll be on your way by 4pm! We look forward to you joining us and sharing your ideas!
In the Blog
- A Beautifully Illustrated Book in the Seydel Collection
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: Medical Formulas from the Reed Family
- New tech e-books:Safari Books Online
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: Resurrection City Street Signs
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: Ralph McGill's Paper Bag Letter
- Sisyphus: Patron Saint of the Stacks
- Cake Sprinkles, Cigarettes, Pasta, and Rusty Razor Blades: Preservation Challenges in MARBL
- The Extraordinary World of MARBL: Robert E. Lee's Socks
- Poetry as Conversation: Recent Additions to the Anthony Hecht Papers
- Atlanta's Own: Sadye Harris Powell