Find Films & Videos
Find DVDs to check out overnight
Find all films, DVDs and videos
All library materials are represented in the EUCLID online catalog, including films and videos in all formats (DVD, VHS, LaserDisc, 16mm, etc.) The following tips may help:
On the entry screen to EUCLID:
- Title search - use for any film. Search the whole title or any word(s) in the title.
- Author search - use for any personal name associated with the film, including actors and directors.
- Subject search - may be used for documentary films.
- Search Everything/Words or Phrase - especially useful for broader searches and for terms not indexed as titles, authors, or subjects (for example, "DISNEY").
- Use Search Limits to restrict results to videos and other visual materials.
HINT: If your search is unsuccessful, try paring it down to just one or two significant words, as the exact title or spelling may vary from what you expect. If you get too many hits this way, try using Search Limits.
HINT: When searching for foreign language titles, be sure to leave off the initial article. For example, if you search for the 1954 Fellini film La Strada using the phrase "LA STRADA," it won't pull up any copies. Search under "STRADA" instead. This potentially confusing problem is because of the way EUCLID indexes titles.
From the entry screen in EUCLID, click on the yellow COMPLEX SEARCH tab on the right-hand side.
Scroll down to see the SEARCH LIMITS area.
- For films in any format (VHS, DVD, etc.), use Format: VISUAL MATERIALS.
- To restrict your search to specific video formats, use Item Type: DVD, DVD-LEND, VIDEOCASS, FILM).
- To find only items in Heilbrun, Woodruff, and Chemistry Libraries, use Library: GENERAL.
- To find videos containing a specific language, use the Language limit . (Note that you may retrieve some DVDs that have an optional, added sound track in your specified language, which is not part of the original film.)
HINT: When using search limits you may miss items in EUCLID which are IN-PROCESS (not yet cataloged). These items are all classified as item-type BOOK until they are cataloged.
Browsing allows you to look at catalog records according to the media format, since each format has its own call-number sequence. You may look at all the titles or select a number near the end of the sequence to view recent additions.
On a "Search EUCLID" screen, select BROWSE SHELVES (yellow button at far right).
Fill in the CALL NUMBER box with the number you want to start with. Examples below are for the first item. Format the call number exactly as shown below: observe punctuation and spacing.
- For VHS tapes: V.CASS. VHS 1 (over 9000 titles held)
- For DVDs: DVD 1 (over 6000 titles held)
- For videodiscs (12-inch): V.DISC 1 (over 2300 titles held)
- For 3/4 in. videotapes: V.CASS. 1 (over 200 titles held)
- For 16-mm. films: MP-16MM 1 (over 500 titles held)
Leave the LIBRARY box set to GENERAL.
Change the SHELVING SCHEME to ALPHANUM.
Click on the gray BROWSE SHELVES button at lower left.
When you have scrolled to the bottom of the first page, use the oval FORWARD button to advance through the list.