What is a Catalog Search?
All materials held by Emory libraries:
- print & electronic books
- journals (NOTE: In the Catalog tab, you'll be searching ONLY journal titles, NOT contents of journals)
- music and videos
- archival collections
What is the Articles Search?
- The Articles Search searches quicksets of Databases. A number of quicksets, targeted by subject, have already been defined. See the discoverE Sources tab below for information about the subject quicksets.
- You may also create your own set of databases by using the Advanced Search option (see My discoverE Account tab for details).
What is the Emory Repositories Search?
What is the Combined Search?
- Everything in the Catalog tab
- Everything in the Emory Repositories tab
- Primo Central -- An index of hundreds of millions of scholarly e-resources
- Hathitrust Digital Library
How do I conduct a simple search in discoverE?
discoverE assumes that you are searching for all the words you type unless OR or NOT appear between the words and phrases.
Can I search by phrase, exclude words or use wildcard characters?
- NOTE: If you do not enclose the phrase with quotation marks, the system will find items that contain the individual words in the phrase, regardless of whether these words are located next to each other in the order specified.
To search for specific words or phrases:
- You can search for items that contain at least one of the words or phrases you type in the Search box. To do so, type OR between the words or phrases.
- NOTE: If you search for words or phrases without specifying OR, discoverE assumes that you are searching for all the words or phrases.
- To use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) within search phrases, you must enter them in uppercase letters. Otherwise, discoverE will consider them as part of the query.
You can exclude items that contain specific words or phrases. To do so, type NOT and then type the word or phrase you want to exclude.
- NOTE: If you search for words or phrases without specifying NOT, discoverE assumes that you are searching for all the specified words or phrases.
You can include the following wildcard characters in your searches:
- ? — enter a question mark to perform a single character wildcard search. For example, type wom?n to search for records that contain the strings woman, women, and so forth.
- * — enter and asterisk to perform a multiple character wildcard search. For example, type cultur* to search for records that contain strings, such as culture, cultural, and culturally.
How do I group terms within a query?
shakespeare (tragedy OR sonnet)