My discoverE Account
Sign in to discoverE and your account
When you sign into discoverE, you are able to do the following:
- Save your search results! discoverE enables patrons to save both individual item records and queries for future use.
- Set preferences for your current and future sessions so that they reflect the way you usually search.
- Set alerts for your queries. Setting an alert will cause a query to run automatically and send email notification when new items answering your search criteria are found.
- Access Emory-licensed resources, even from off-campus.
- Use library services, such as requesting or recalling items.
You should sign out of discoverE so that your searches remain private and your personal settings and e-Shelf are not tampered with by anyone else.
To access My Account, log in and click the My Account link, which appears at the top right of each page in discoverE. My Account enables you to:
- View your current check-outs, requests, and fine information
- Use other automated library services, such as renewing books or placing/canceling requests or recalls
- Define your personal discoverE settings.
Set Account Preferences
To set your preferences, click the Personal Settings option on the left side of My Account. You can tailor the discoverE user interface so that it reflects the way you usually search:
- Specify the maximum number of search results per page
- Specify your default e-mail address
- Add your cell phone number.
e-Shelf allows you to save and organize items that you find during your discoverE session. To access e-Shelf, click the e-Shelf link at the top of the page.
NOTE: You must be logged in for e-Shelf items to be saved for future search sessions.
e-Shelf - Save and remove items
When you select the star icon for an item in the search results, the system highlights the icon and adds the item to the Basket folder in e-Shelf.
NOTE: You must sign in to save items in e-Shelf for future sessions.
To view items that are saved in e-Shelf, click the Basket folder or any of its subfolders. From the list of items, click the item that you want to display.
To remove an item and all of its copies in the various folders in e-Shelf, de-select the highlighted star icon next to the item in the search results. Alternately, click on the box next to any individual item in your e-Shelf and click the “X” icon in the e-Shelf ribbon to delete it.
Manage your e-Shelf folders
From the e-Shelf tab, you can perform the following operations on folders by using the icons on the left:
- Cut Items — Click this button to remove selected items from e-Shelf and to place them into memory.
- Copy Items — Click this button to copy selected items from your e-Shelf.
- Paste Item — Click this button to paste the last item(s) placed into memory into the current folder.
- Delete Items — Click this button to delete the selected items.
- E-mail Items — Click this button to email the selected items.
- Print Items — Click this button to print the selected items.
- Save Items — Select an option from the “Select how to save” drop-down list and then click this button to save the selected items.
- Add Note — Click this button to add a note to an item.
- Modify Note — Click this button to modify a note added to an item.
A query is a word or phrase you specify in the search panel to request information.
View your queries
- If you are logged in, you can save a query by clicking the Save query link, which appears below the facets on the search results page.
- You can access your saved and session queries by clicking either the e-Shelf or My Account link and then clicking the Queries tab. This tab contains the following folders:
- This Session’s Queries — this folder lists all of the queries that you have performed during the current session.
- Saved Queries & Alerts — this folder lists all of the queries and alerts that you have saved.
Set up a query alert
An alert is a process that runs your query automatically and sends you new results via e-mail. You can run a saved query yourself, or you can set it as an alert that runs automatically and sends you new results by e-mail.
To view the list of alerts, click Saved Queries & Alerts from the Queries tab. To configure an alert for a saved query, click the Update link for that query and then specify the alert settings.
Use RSS feeds to be notified of new items found by a saved query
RSS feeds in discoverE are used to notify you of new items found by a saved query. RSS feeds can be activated from either the search results screen or the Saved Queries & Alerts folder in the Queries tab.
- If your browser supports RSS, click the RSS button. A window from which you can subscribe to RSS feeds will open. Follow the instructions in the window.
- If your browser does not support RSS, right-click the RSS button, copy the URL, and paste it into the RSS reader.
NOTE: You must have an RSS reader installed on your computer for RSS feeds to function.
View or search for specific databases within discoverE
In the Articles tab, the Find Databases link enables you to search for databases indexed by discoverE and include these databases in discoverE searches. To search for specific databases, fill in the relevant fields and click the Find Databases button. To display the results, click the Databases Results tab.
Select specific databases to search with discoverE
In the Find Databases pop-up window, you can select databases from either the All Databases tab or the Databases Results tab (if you have already performed a search).
Click the check box next to each database that you want to include in discoverE searches. Selected databases will be added to the list of databases on the Selected Databases tab. Up to 10 databases per search can be selected. No check mark will display for databases that cannot be searched through discoverE, but these databases can be linked to directly.
After you have completed your selections, click the Selection Completed button to update the Selected Databases search scope. Notice that the Selected Databases search scope is selected in the Articles tab.
NOTE: For full access to all of the databases available through discoverE, be sure to log in.
Other options for saving search results
DiscoverE allows you to email or "push" your search results to other bibliographic tools such as Endnote and Delicious. Use the drop down menu to the right of your e-shelf to send results to your bibliographic management tool of choice.