Interlibrary loan is provided to facilitate the university-related research of Emory students, faculty, and staff.
This service is not available to spouses or children of the above groups, to alumni, or to guest researchers. Non-Emory users are encouraged to contact their primary academic, public, or corporate library regarding interlibrary loan services.
We absorb most fees charged by other libraries for supplying materials via interlibrary loan.
There are a few exceptions to the general rule:
- Extensive copying or reproduction requiring special processing by the supplying library (e.g., microform or photographic reproductions)
- Copies with copyright fees in excess of $20
We will advise you in advance of any charges and/or prepayment requirements.
Users of ILL services also are responsible for prompt payment of any overdue fines and/or replacement costs arising from their requests (please see the RETURNS/RECALLS section for further information).
Payment for ILL activity must be submitted to the Interlibrary Loan Office and not the Library Services Desk.
First, be sure to check discoverE and/or EUCLID to make sure Emory does not own the item. If you need help determining this, please contact a reference librarian.
Submit requests electronically via the ILLiad interlibrary loan system.
- You can also access ILLiad via the LIBRARIES link on most Emory web pages and via the EUCLID online catalog.
- When prompted, enter your Emory Network ID (NetID) and Password.
- First-time ILLiad users will be prompted to complete a registration form.
- From the ILLiad Main Menu on the left, select the type of request you wish to submit.
- For required fields please include:
- Complete and accurate information about the item requested; please do not use abbreviations.
- Source of your citation, i.e., where information about an item may be verified.
- Date after which you no longer need the requested material.
NOTE: You must submit a separate request for each item.
Though we will attempt to fill almost any request submitted, the following types of material often are difficult to obtain through interlibrary loan:
- Recently published items
- Textbooks, study guides and workbooks (note that we do not request textbooks for class use)
- Entire volumes or issues of periodicals, especially if less than 3 years old
- Reference works
- Rare and/or fragile books and original manuscripts
- Newspapers and other ephemeral or bulky materials in their original format
- Audiovisual materials and computer software
- Works of genealogy or heraldry
- Items from outside North America or Western Europe, especially theses & dissertations
Turn-around time varies considerably. However, most requests can be filled in five to seven days. Electronic articles often arrive within 24 to 48 hours. Items being shipped from nearby libraries can arrive in two to four days.
Note that some requests may take longer to fill depending on the location, nature and/or availability of the requested item.
Need a book today? See information about interlibrary use programs that allow you to check books out directly from local college & university libraries.
Rush processing can be provided for a limited number of requestss in cases of urgent need. If you require ILL materials in less than one week, please do the following:
- Contact ILL staff regarding the feasibility of rush processing for your request(s) prior to or immediately after submitting it/them.
- Change the date in the Item Not Needed After field on the ILLiad request form.
- Enter RUSH in the Notes field of the request form.
Most ILL articles are delivered electronically in PDF format. You will be notified via e-mail when requested documents are available for viewing. Instructions on how to access the article are included in the email notice.
To view an electronic document, logon to ILLiad, click on Electronic Documents in the View/Edit section of the ILLiad Main Menu and click on the View link for the desired document.
Electronic documents will be available via ILLiad for 30 days or until you delete them, whichever occurs first.
For most ILL users, the pickup location for borrowed items and paper copies from ILL is the Library Service Desk on level 2 of Woodruff Library.* Since the Library Service Desk maintains several types of items for pickup, please be sure to specify "interlibrary loan" when asking for these materials.
Health Sciences Center Library users will pick up items at the Information Desk, near the entrance of the Health Sciences Center Library. Please specify "interlibrary loan" when picking up these materials.*ILL material for faculty and graduate students of the Chemistry, Environmental Studies, Mathematics & Computer Science, and Physics departments is delivered to the Chemistry Library for pickup.
The lending library determines the loan period and renewal policy for its materials. In most cases borrowers, including faculty, can expect to keep interlibrary loan items for two to four weeks.
Exception: materials from the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) are loaned for six months, subject to recall.
Please make every effort to complete your work with ILL material within the original loan period. If a renewal request is necessary, a three-week renewal may be requested via ILLiad (not EUCILD).
Please note that renewal requests must be placed three days before the original due date. ILL must contact the lending library for permission to renew and will inform you by email whether or not your renewal request has been granted. Please also note that, with the exception of CRL material, we usually can obtain only one renewal per item.
Exception: If the lending library has indicated NO RENEWAL on the item label, you will not be able to renew the item.
To place a renewal request in ILLeiad, click on Checked-Out Items in the View/Edit section of the ILLiad Main Menu, select the number of the item you wish to renew, and click on Request Renewal.
The lending library establishes the conditions under which borrowed material may be used. Especially if items are rare, fragile and/or extremely valuable, they may have to be used within the library or rare book room only, photocopying may be prohibited, etc.
A borrower's failure to comply with the conditions of a loan could jeopardize his/her interlibrary loan privileges and/or those of the Emory Libraries with lending institutions.
Please return all ILL items by the due date directly to the Woodruff Library Service Desk or Interlibrary Loan Office on Level 2 or to the Health Sciences Center Library Information Desk near the library entrance.
A fine of 50¢ per day will be charged for ILL materials that are returned more than one day past the due date.
Please note that ILL materials are subject to recall by the lending library at any time. Failure to return a recalled item by the date indicated will result in a fine of $2.00 per day and possible suspension of ILL privileges.
ILL fines should be directly to the Interlibrary Loan Office in cash or with a check payable to Emory University. Payment can also be mailed to the following address:
Atlanta, GA 30322-2870
Continued failure to return ILL materials or to pay fines in a timely manner will result in suspension of a borrower's interlibrary loan privileges. Access to ILLiad will be blocked for requesters with any ILL items more than 14 days overdue or with $20 or more in unpaid ILL fines.